Committee meetings are microcosms of the Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business, providing an opportunity for Friends to practice several of our testimonies as we carry out the practical work of maintaining our faith community. We seek to be Spirit-led in our work, with as much efficiency as possible, achieving a sense of what Friends call “right order,” and so ask that you use the following guidelines.
- When you are led to speak, ask the clerk to recognize you by raising your hand.
- To affirm something someone has said, simply nod or use the phrase, “This Friend speaks my mind.” Please don’t ask to be recognized so that you may express the same thought in other words.
- When you speak, keep your comments plain and to the point.
- We are seeking the sense of the group as a whole, using the processes developed by Friends, rather than lobbying for a personal viewpoint.
- When the recording clerk is developing a minute, sit in worship, and hold him/her in the Light. Please refrain from conversation with your neighbor.
- When a person speaks in the meeting, receive the words as you receive vocal ministry in Meeting for Worship – with an open heart and calm mind. If you have a strong reaction to something someone has said, sit with it until way is clear for you to speak with patience and compassion.
- Abide by the agreements that the group makes regarding decisions, actions, schedules, agendas, etc. If you feel something needs to be changed or varied, please bring it forward as a new agenda item.